Currently there are almost 300 people working at the Komatsu Europe Headquarters and Parts distribution center in Vilvoorde (Belgium): technical experts, sales profiles, logistic and administrative staff, etc. These people come from wide-ranging backgrounds and jobs, and share common characteristics such as perseverance, commitment, analytical skills, efficiency and trustworthiness: the very image of Komatsu machines…
As a Legal Counsel, you will provide professional legal services to the Group’s businesses and operations in Europe and Africa.
Your task is to understand, evaluate and timely, clearly and effectively communicate the legal risks and opportunities associated with commercial/financial transactions, business operations and projects while at the same time understanding the business requirements and needs.The position requires a thorough understanding of all aspects of the business with a strong international focus including the following responsibilities:
- Provide full legal support in all type of corporate (re)organization processes.
- Provide full legal support to Komatsu’s finance group and be closely involved in operations such as (financial/operational) lease structures, secured lending, acquisition finance, asset finance and other. Coordinate the legal processes and manage different lawyers working on the same finance project and ensure implementation of all required legal documents.
- Identify, advice on and manage the legal and financial risks to which Komatsu is exposed and to minimize liability exposure and risks by recommending and implementing appropriate agreements, policies, practices and procedures;
- Ensure compliance with national and European law through monitoring, interpreting and advising on current and new relevant legislation and case law;
- Administer cost-efficiently and effectively the legal affairs by internally providing professional, timely and pragmatic legal advice and services to the business entities of Komatsu in their day-to-day operations;
- Provide legal advice on (European) ad hoc projects;
- Evaluate the necessity to seek legal advice from external counsel, select, monitor, manage and ensure effective advice by such external counsel;Draft, negotiate, interpret and advise on agreements, letters, forms and other legal documents;
- Promote compliance by the business with applicable laws and regulations and with the Komatsu policies and procedures;
- Train business people on relevant legislation and procedures especially competition laws and policies.
You will report to the Head of Legal.
- You have obtained a Master degree in Law and you have 6 to 8 years of experience with corporate finance in an international environment, preferably (partially) within an international law firm.
- Knowledge of commercial law, European competition law and/or UK law is a definite plus.
- You have a thorough knowledge of English and French. Knowledge of German would be a strong asset.
- You are a pragmatic business partner.
- You demonstrate ownership and are proactive.
- You have strong communication skills with the ability to handle issues diplomatically.
- You are persistent if needed.
- You are detail-oriented.
- You are willing to travel on an occasional basis (mainly within Europe).
Are you the professional we are looking for?