Currently there are almost 300 people working at the Komatsu Europe Headquarters and Parts distribution center in Vilvoorde (Belgium): technical experts, sales profiles, logistic and administrative staff, etc. These people come from wide-ranging backgrounds and jobs, and share common characteristics such as perseverance, commitment, analytical skills, efficiency and trustworthiness: the very image of Komatsu machines…
As a Legal Counsel, you will provide professional legal services to the Group’s businesses and operations in Europe and Africa. Your task is to understand, evaluate and timely, clearly and effectively communicate the legal risks and opportunities associated with commercial/financial transactions, business operations and projects while at the same time understanding the business requirements and needs.
This position with a strong international focus includes the following responsibilities:
- Draft, interpret, and negotiate agreements (e.g. procurement, manufacturing, sales, facility, IT,…);
- Providing professional, timely and pragmatic legal advice and services to the business entities of Komatsu in their day-to-day operations;
- Identify, advice on and manage the legal and financial risks to which Komatsu is exposed and to minimize liability exposure and risks by recommending and implementing appropriate agreements, policies, practices and procedures;
- Promote compliance by the business with applicable laws and regulations and with the Komatsu policies and procedures;
- Ensure compliance with national and European law through monitoring, interpreting and advising on current and new relevant legislation and case law;
- Provide legal advice on (European) ad hoc projects;
- Evaluate the necessity to seek legal advice from external counsel, select, monitor, manage and ensure effective advice by such external counsel;
- Train business people on relevant legislation and procedures (e.g. competition laws and policies).
- Proactively manage corporate governance and overall corporate housekeeping activities pertaining to the Group’s extensive legal structure;
- Provide support for legal administration (filing, invoices, mailing).
- You have obtained a Belgian Master degree in Law and you have 5 to 8 years of experience with commercial law including contracts in an international environment, preferably (partially) within an international law firm.
- Basic knowledge of GDPR, European competition law and/or ICT law is a definite plus.
- You have an interest in financial/operational lease structures.
- You have a thorough knowledge of Dutch and English. Knowledge of French would be an asset.
- You are business-minded.
- You can work autonomously.
- You have good communication skills with the ability to handle issues diplomatically.
- You are detail-oriented.
- You are trustworthy.
- You are willing to travel on an occasional basis (mainly within Europe).
Are you the professional we are looking for?