With auto digging function
Vilvoorde, April 2018 — Komatsu Europe presents the WA480-8 wheel loader, a heavyweight performer with an EU Stage IV engine and, on average, up to 15 % lower fuel consumption than the WA480-6 LC. Built on the recognized benefits of its predecessor, the new Komatsu WA480-8 offers an outstanding combination of stability, breakout power and tractive effort to customers and is perfect for any moving, transport or loading job. Available machine attachments extend the machine’s versatility to waste handling or quarry applications.
The WA480-8 has a new auto-digging mode, and along with Komatsu’s redesigned digging bucket, which further improves penetration and is easier to fill, operator comfort and productivity are increased and fuel consumption can be reduced.
“Thanks to Komatsu’s transmission technology and upgraded torque converter, the WA480-8 can offer reduced operating costs”, says Henrik Flohr, Senior Product Manager at Komatsu Europe. “A lower engine speed matching, improved tractive power and acceleration, and higher uphill speeds combine to offer a boost to productivity and lower fuel usage”.
The Komatsu SAA6D125E-7 engine on the WA480-8 puts out 220 kW / 299 HP. The machine’s Komatsu Diesel Particulate Filter (KDPF) and other after-treatment components work together with the engine for improved efficiency and longer life. A Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system further reduces NOx emissions using AdBlue®. The engine’s advanced electronic control system manages the air-flow rate and the fuel injection, combustion parameters and aftertreatment functions: performance is optimised, emissions reduced, and advanced diagnostic capabilities provided.
KOMTRAX telematics and Komatsu CARE, a Komatsu maintenance program for customers, offer top fleet management and support, protect the machine against misuse and guarantee maximum efficiency and uptime.
Enhancements and features
Thanks to its drive train, manufactured by Komatsu Germany Construction in Hanover, this wheel loader is an extremely powerful yet fuel-efficient machine. In 1st to 4th gear, the automatic transmission provides easy operation and loading cycles with increased productivity, allowing the operator to concentrate on the job. In gears 2 to 4, starting at a speed of approx. 8 km/h, a lock-up torque converter further boosts efficiency.
Komatsu developed an operator-friendly, spacious cab with an internal noise level of only 71 dB(A). The increased internal air pressure prevents dust and other particulates from entering the cab. For easy and safe exit, the machine is equipped with a rear-hinged door, angled steps and large handrails. The wide pillar-less glass surfaces provide excellent all-round visibility.
A 7 inch, full colour, high-resolution monitor provides key machine metrics including KDPF status and AdBlue® e-level data, fuel consumption, and performance. Messages from the ECO Guidance system are displayed in real-time during operation and on the exit screen when the ignition is turned off. The ECO guidance menu enables the operator to check logs for operation, ECO guidance and fuel consumption. These records can be used to reduce the overall fuel consumption and can be collected and sorted by the operator.
A new air suspension seat dampens vibrations and provides a more comfortable ride for the operator. Seat-mounted electronic pilot control levers, with Forward-Neutral-Reverse (F-N-R) switch, improve convenience and reduce operator fatigue.
Other features help to optimize fuel consumption: Komatsu Smart Loader Logic functions automatically and doesn’t interfere with operation, saving fuel without decreasing production whatever the application. The Komatsu-designed power train has a large capacity torque converter for optimum efficiency. The WA480’s Auto-Idle Shutdown system prevents unnecessary fuel consumption by automatically switching the off after a pre-set idle duration.
New WA480-8 Features and Benefits
- EU Stage IV emissions compliant - Peace of Mind, meets regulations.
- Komatsu Diesel Particle Filter and Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system, using Ad Blue®
- Lower Operational Cost: Up to 15% lower fuel consumption vs. WA480-6 LC.
- Torque Converter Lock-Up (Automatic from 2nd to 4th Gear)
- Smart loader logic
- Auto engine idle shut down
- Fuel saving guidance for the operator
- Increased Productivity
- Auto bucket fill High-efficiency bucket range
- RDS Technology weighing scale for commercial trading application as option
- Axle oil cooling system
- Operator Comfort with state of the art operator’s cab
- Fully suspended consoles
- New high comfort operator seat
- Komatsu Short-Lever-Steering in option
- Low in-cab noise level
- Enhanced Serviceability
- New side opening gull wing engine doors
- Swing-out cooling fan
- Automatic reversible fan
- Wide core radiator
- KOMTRAX "Step 5"
- 3G mobile communications
- Individual operator ID system
- Ad Blue® level and usage reports
- Fuel abnormality (theft) reports
- Machine status reports including SCR
- Low Service Costs with Komatsu CARE
- Peace of mind, costs down and profit up.
- SCR system included in the Komatsu CARE product support package.
- 5 year / 9,000 hrs. warranty on the SCR body
Information in this news release is current on the date of the announcement and is subject to change without notice.
- Comparisons are to the Komatsu model WA480-6 LC.
- Komatsu CARE and KOMTRAX are registered trademarks of Komatsu Ltd.
- AdBlue® is a registered trademark of Verband der Automobilindustrie e.V.