Versatile, compact and powerful.
Vilvoorde, June 2018 — Komatsu Europe announces the new PW160-11 wheeled excavator. Ideal on job sites with limited space or in urban areas, this compact machine is a versatile tool, packed with new features. It has a powerful EU Stage IV engine and provides an average of 4 % lower fuel consumption.
Built on the recognized benefits of its predecessor, with the same basic machine dimensions, linkage, and main hydraulic valve, the Komatsu PW160-11 proposes advancements in design and technology that improve versatility, efficiency and operator comfort.
“A lot of work went in to the redesign of Komatsu’s dash 11 wheeled excavators, with a dramatic increase in versatility for customers” says Sebastian Zienau, Product Manager at Komatsu Europe. “Joystick steering, an integrated system for controlling tools and the factory-installed quick couplers also boost performance and efficiency”.
KOMTRAX telematics and the Komatsu Care maintenance program, offer top fleet management and support, protect the machines against misuse and guarantee maximum efficiency and uptime.
Komatsu EU Stage IV Engine: Less fuel and cleaner air.
The PW160-11 excavator features operating weights ranging from 16,7 to 18,6 tonnes and a new powerful and cleaner Komatsu SAA4D107E-3 “EU Stage IV” engine, which outputs 110 kW / 150 HP at 2000 rpm. A Komatsu Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (KDOC) works together with the engine and other after-treatment components for improved efficiency and longer life.
The new integrated Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system further reduces NOx emissions by up to 80% using AdBlue®.
The engine’s electronic control system manages the air-flow rate and the fuel injection, combustion parameters and aftertreatment functions: along with ultra-low emissions, performance is optimised. Advanced diagnostic capabilities are also provided.
The new Auto-Idle Shutdown system prevents unnecessary fuel consumption: it automatically shuts the engine off and applies the parking brake and hydraulic lock after a pre-set idle time limit. The new viscous fan clutch that controls the optimal speed for the cooling fan also reduces fuel consumption and contributes to lower noise levels.
Versatility and comfort
A new boom suspension system (ECSS) provides a significant increase in comfort when travelling over bumps. The operator’s seat comes with suspended joystick consoles, premium cushioning, auto weight adjustments and pneumatic lumbar support. Joystick Steering (JSS) is in option, for outstanding operator comfort and control, with new and easy-to-use operation switches.
An upgraded high-resolution TFT-LCD widescreen colour monitor panel, with 25 built-in languages, displays key machine metrics including AdBlue® e-level, fuel consumption, and performance data. With its interface, also visible on the monitor, Komatsu’s Attachment Control is integrated.
Komatsu’s standard “KomVision” enhances safety through a system of multiple cameras: jobsite surroundings can be checked on the monitor prior to carrying out any operation.
For increased versatility, the PW160-11 can be equipped with either a truck type automatic hitch or a car ball type hitch, for a trailer up to 8 tonnes, with all necessary electric and hydraulic hook-ups. The trailer’s functions can then be operated from the cab’s joysticks..
The excavator is equipped with the exclusive Komatsu EMMS (Equipment Management Monitoring System), which has enhanced diagnostic features that give the operator and technicians greater monitoring and troubleshooting capabilities. EMMS also continuously monitors all critical systems, preventative maintenance, and provides troubleshooting assistance to minimise diagnosis and repair time. It can be accessed along with all essential machine functions on the cab’s monitor screen and set in the blink of an eye.
The AdBlue®. tank can be refilled from a walking platform close to ground level, and both the refuelling and the auto lubrication pumps were relocated to be more accessible.
The piping layout of the auxiliary line was standardised, to be the same on all the latest Komatsu “dash 11” wheeled excavators.
Komatsu machines are designed for easy maintenance and the PW160-11 is no exception. An “auto grease” function can be ordered, and regular engine service points, greasing points and filters are centralized, and are quickly and safely accessible.
PW160-11: New features and benefits
- Average of 4% lower fuel consumption vs. PW160-10
- EU Stage IV emissions compliant
- Innovative interior design with new ergonomic switches. – Easier operations
- Upgraded high-resolution TFT-LCD widescreen monitor panel with 25 built-in languages.
- New access system to service points and engine. – For safety during maintenance
- New Seats with suspended consoles. – More operating comfort
- Boom suspension system (ECSS) – More travel comfort
- Komatsu Integrated Attachment Control – More versatility
- Fingertip joystick steering (JSS) – More versatility
- Trailer coupling from factory – More versatility
- Trailer tipping auxiliary hydraulics – More versatility
- Lehnhoff Quick couplers factory installed – More versatility
- KomVision Bird’s eye view – Increased safety
- Viscous Fan clutch – More versatility
- Updated auxiliary line pipe layout – More versatility
- KOMTRAX – with improved energy saving reports offering guidance for superior fuel efficiency and fleet management.
- Komatsu CARE – Peace of mind, costs down and profits up
Information in this news release is current on the date of the announcement and is subject to change without notice.
- Komatsu CARE, KomVision, and KOMTRAX are registered trademarks of Komatsu Ltd.
- AdBlue® is a registered trademark of Verband der Automobilindustrie e.V.